New Year Resolutions 2017
I've never been one of those people who makes new year resolutions-- honestly, I thought they were ridiculous.
However, this year for some reason it just hit me. This new year actually felt like it could be a reset button. 2016 wasn't such a hot year, and I feel like I spent so much time telling myself tomorrow I'll be better, I'll do it tomorrow, I'll start it tomorrow. It just happened over and over again.
But when the last week of 2016 came it just felt like okay...how about we take all those tomorrows and bunch them up into 2017. In 2017 I will do it.
That last week I found myself thinking a lot about what I really really reaaally wanted to focus on. What really mattered to me.
Sure I probably should get on a diet and exercise and lose 20lbs, but I know that isn't what really matters to me (kinda). I know gaining weight bums me out a bit (I'm one of those up and down with my weight type of gals), but it isn't what really makes me feel all blue. Especially not when I'm eating pizza, tacos, or ice cream. I will never be someone stops myself from enjoying food. Plus even though I do get insecure about my weight a lot, it doesn't stop me from feeling good about who I am as a person, my confidence isn't absolutely crushed. So no, that won't be my restart goal. (secretly hoping it just falls off because I'm not thinking about it haha)
my top goals:
1. Be way more transparent on the blog and IG. I definitely feel like I tried everything to stop myself from the dreaded comparison-- but honestly it sucked me in. I struggled so hard not to compare myself or my success with every other awesome person online. But I need to remind myself; just like I choose to share the really pretty things in my life with everyone, so do all those people. Plus I always fall more in love with bloggers who are more open about their "uglies". It's extremely stressful to try to be a people pleaser, and that's just what that comparison trap leads to. Constant worries about if I post this will people love it or will they hate me? I just want to be myself and create connections with people who love the real me. Honestly, I think I come off way more bubbly online than I really am. I am more of the sarcastic monotone, inappropriate jokes, who is wicked shy, but full of love -kind of gal. I swear I'm really nice! I won't say "I'm the sweetest girl you'll ever meet" because when someone says that to me I automatically think; hmmm mm ok psycho....
2. Speaking of being shy....I also suffer from resting bitch face....so you can imagine how many friends I have hahaha! But yes, my next goal is to at least try to be more outgoing and make more of an effort to meet new friends in real life, not just online (I love my IG besties). I so badly want to be one of those people who just approach people in a totally cool way. Those people amaze me. Meeting new friends is SO hard for me. Especially because small talk is torture for me. So if we meet and in the beginning I'm super awkward please forgive me ;)
3. Next on the list is doing more thangs. I spend way too much time watching Netflix and bitching about how living in New England is super boring. I really want to move away but it isn't happening right now. & who knows how long I'll be alive, so I'd rather not spend my time on the couch binging on TV when there are sooo many big and small adventures out there. As cliche as it is, it's true, sometimes you really need to just make the best out of what you have. + Most importantly I want my kids to have a life rich in experiences. I also want them to have close relationships with their extended family. So I need to make more of an effort to stay connected with loved ones.
4. Spend less do more. This one kind of goes with the last one. I am the worst when it comes to spending money. I don't even know why I have a savings account sometimes, it's got like $29. But I feel like now that I'm 30 I should at least attempt to be more of an adult. It's amazing how much crap you can accumulate in a house. I want to really work on spending less on things that I've convinced myself we need, so that we have more money for traveling and other fun experiences.
5. Stop overcomplicating everything. This one is huge for me. I can't even tell you how much this has limited me from doing so many things. I overcomplicate things a lot and then end up doing nothing. Overcomplicating + anxiety issues is not a good mix.
6. Be more loving. I think often times we just assume the people in our lives just know that we love them and we forget to show them. We think we have all the time in the world. But we really don't. My entire blog is based around celebrating life, so why is it that I really don't do that more often with people I love? This doesn't mean go and throw a party every weekend for your loved ones, but little gestures that mean a lot are so easy to do. I want more meaningful moments filled with tons of love. Gawd knows the world needs more love right now.
7. Plan more procrastinate less. I am such a procrastinator, it's one of my biggest problems this one I think will be the hardest for me. But baby steps. I definitely think if I can get better at planning my days I will get better with procrastinating. Dearest Melinda, your planner is more than just photo prop!
These are just my top goals, things that I really feel have limited me in life. I think that's where my main focus was with these goals- try to change the things that limit me.
There a few other things that I feel that I could do better with, like getting dressed more often, as in getting out of my sweats and putting on some makeup (because I like to). Mostly just self love/care type of things.
So far I think I'm on the right start with getting these goals accomplished. It will be interesting to see a year from now what has changed, and what new goals I have.
Even tho I'm not totally on board with new years resolutions, I do truly believe in self growth and continuously working on bettering yourself in a positive way. It's important to know your self and know that you never stop growing. This year for some reason really felt like a restart button for me, so I'll go with it.
Sometimes it just takes a moment to really realize this is it, this is your life, and you only get to live it once, so get up and make it your own kind of extraordinary!
So here's to a new year....cheers babes!
P.S. I'd love to hear all about your goals or resolutions! & I really hope 2017 is good to you, that it's full of love, hope, adventures, and all the great thangs :)